Saturday, September 27, 2008

Liz meets famed designer David Yurman

In New York City this past week I was so excited to be at the launch of David Yurman’s new fragrance at Saks Fifth Avenue. Got there early enough to look at his new Collection, including pieces I had seen in magazines for the past few months.
Tall lovely models wearing Yurman jewelry, tasty finger food, sparkling wine, elegant black wrist cords sprayed with the new fragrance, an overall bubbly atmosphere and everyone in black. This was the scene in the designers gallery on the ground floor of the prestigious store. The Saks staff were all so friendly, yet professional.

And we were not disappointed. A bit after 4 pm David and Sybil Yurman appeared. He was quite calm, pleasant and totally gracious. Standing in line to greet him, I decided to say exactly who I was and why I was there. “Hi. I’m Liz Mannette, a jewelry designer from the Caribbean. I’ve always been so inspired by your work and when I grow up, I want to be just like you” or something like that. I can’t remember the exact words. But I do remember feeling so comfortable speaking with this icon of the jewelry industry who has been designing of over 25 years.

He also has a sense of humor. As I said I wanted to be just like him when I grew up, he laughed and said I would have to have a sex change, change my skin and lose some of my hair! And he actually looked at some of the pieces I wore that day. I let him know that my designs were all about steel drums aka steelpans. He noted that I had a theme, and said that’s good.

But there’s more. After he moved off to greet other visitors, I went over to the photographer on scene who was busy taking photos of the launch and asked if he got a good shot of David Yurman and me. “Not good enough,” he said, “Let’s go take another.” I hesitated a bit, thinking that would have been a bit too pushy. But the good fella insisted, and since he worked with Yurman, who was I too challenge him.

So we went back to David Yurman, by this time talking to real customers who were wearing his new pieces. And David, even more graciously, came over and put his arm around me and said - and this is great, “One designer to another”.

So now I am tracking down the photographer to get a copy of the photo. I will hunt him down and find him. Just kidding. Keep looking for the news.

No comments: